2 Corinthians 4:5

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Oh, the hilarities of missionary work! (Is that even a word---hilarities? Well, if it wasn't, it is now.)

So, as usual, time is short....but it's not entirely my fault this time!  I had to transfer email accounts, because they're updating MyLDSMail.net, and blah blah blah.  Long story short...it ate up my time.  So, now, y'all get the short end of the stick.  SORRY!
 
We had stake conference this weekend.  Bishop Richard C. Edgley, first counselor in the presiding bishopric, was the visiting General Authority.  He spoke a lot about "The Rescue" program that Pres. Monson has made his priority.  He counseled us, "Don't jump off the ship."  He talked about how many people find one thing that they don't agree with or don't understand, and because of that, they leave the Church.  His remarks reminded me of a conference talk not too long ago called, "It's True, Isn't It?  Then What Else Matters?"  He asked us to think about our own testimonies.  Will we ever need to be rescued?  It made me think a lot, and I'm really grateful for the chance we had to learn from him, as well as from President Woods, and the members of our stake presidency.  We also got to hear some great talks from members of the congregation---yup, they got called up to the stand without any prior notice.  And yet, the talks that they gave were just awesome.  Surprisingly enough, I like having stake conference like that.  Of course, that's probably because I didn't get called on.  Oh well.  :)
 
Funny story of the week: Sister Thomas and I were tracting in Oberlin, and as we were walking back to our car, we met an inebriated man called "Pappy", and his sober friend, Trey.  Pappy first tried to shake my hand across a really wide ditch, and when I told him that I couldn't reach, he leapt across the ditch and about fell in.  Then he rambled on for about 7 minutes or so about all sorts of things.  As we started to leave, Pappy told me, "I'm in lub (love) with a beautiful woman.  And guess what?  I'll even go to church!  I'll be a Pentacostal."  I smirked, and said, "Well, that's great, except I'm not Pentacostal."  He looked puzzled, then said, "Well, I'll be Jehovah's Witness then!"  "Strike two," I replied.  (Trey was laughing his head off in the background the whole time.  He'd met someone who was LDS when he was in the military, so he knew who we were.)  Pappy paused, and looked and us for a minute before guessing, "Catholic?"  "Strike three.  We'll see y'all later," I said, and walked away.  Pappy was still guessing religions after us---"Baptist?!"  It made us giggle quite a bit.  Go figure...I attract all the drunk guys.  Sigh.  Well, at least I won't have to worry about that at home.  :)
 
Love y'all!
 
Your Friend in the Faith,
Sister P.



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments: